Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Give your workout some VARIETY!

**Isn't variety the spice of life? **

Today while training a client, her and I were talked about running...where we typically run in the city, when, what time, etc etc. Sounds like an exciting conversation right? haha

Well in my head, I was actually trying to figure out where I wanted to run today. I have my 4 different routes that I rotate through during the work week...and to be honest, I was not interested in running any of them today. They were "dead to me" as far as I was concerned. I wanted to run, just really needed a change of scenery. My client suggested to run over the Brooklyn Bridge (1.13 miles long). All I had to do was take the subway down to the Brooklyn Bridge and then exit and I'd obviously see the bridge.

SO that's exactly what I did! Took the 10 min subway ride down to City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge and I ran...ran over the bridge, into Brooklyn along a promenade path, and then back over the bridge. I wore my Nike+ watch so that I could see how many miles I did. Oh and I have to mention that I left my IPOD at work, soooo I was a little nervous that I wouldn't enjoy myself as much as I hoped I would.

The sights were gorgeous...from being on the water to seeing the skyline to seeing the Statue of Liberty off in the distance. Just beautiful. It was a perfect suggestion for a run based on how I was feeling and my need for something new. Totally satisfying run. OH and I didn't even care that I didn't have my music. :)

Sometimes you just need to change it up! Change up your what you eat and what you do! It's *refreshing* and keeps you active and happy! We are creatures of habit, but sometimes we need to change it up in order to keep exercise and eating healthy interesting.

Running the same path day in and day out is great for measuring progress (maybe you could only do half of it and now you can do the full path) however, at some point, you will not be interested in running that path. You are over it.

Same with food. After a while, if you eat the same foods, your taste buds even get a little bored. I'm sure you're bored of packing the same lunch as well. AND if you don't change it up eating wise, you could put yourself at risk of being deficient in certain vitamins and minerals.



SO my challenge to you: SWITCH.IT.UP. :)

2 comments:

. said...

I really agree with these last couple of posts. Healthiness truly does seem to have a chain effect. To go along with the theme of variety, here's a question. Since it rained yesterday, I decided to run on a treadmill instead of outside. I was wondering what your thoughts are on treadmills? If you don't set any resistance, but you run farther than you normally would, are they still a good workout?

Caitlin said...

Hey Jen! Great question!

IN my opinion, treadmills are fine! At least you are running ya know?!

Treadmills are different than running outside but in terms of being a good substitue on a rainy day, choose the treadmill if your joints are fine (knee problems hit up the elliptical or bike).

When you run on a treadmill, it is a moving ground underneath you...you don't have to push the ground like you do when you are running outside. Also, in terms of myself I can run longer outside because I get bored inside and I just like being outside with the scenery and fresh air. But on hot and muggy days, sometimes it's better for us to be inside on the treadmill.

If you are training for an outside race or whatever, make sure you do most of your training outside on similar terrain because if not, the race will seem harder and your body may not be completely ready for it.

When you have the option to be outside, choose outside!