Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Why Lifting Weights can help everyone

Lifting. My favorite type of exercising. Let me tell you why.

1) It makes you strong.
2) It makes you look awesome.
3) Moving around and doing activities of daily living are easier because you lift weights that are heavier than anything in your everday life.
4) It keeps your bones healthy and strong.
5) Lean body mass (muscle) is more metabolically active...meaning it will use and burn more calories than let's say fat. And we all want a faster/higher metabolism.
6) It allows your body to fight the aging process which involves the breaking down of muscle cells. boo.
7) You feel like you have worked hard after you finish lifting.

A few reasons why people don't lift:
1) Women in particular, are afraid of looking like Hulk Hogan or the Incredible Hulk. If you haven't noticed ladies, those 2 examples...are MEN. We do not have enough testosterone to get big...and if you don't take steroids, you won't get big. Most women who start lifting really enjoy the results they get because they can see some definition because they lose fat and they can actually see muscles. People tend to call this "tone".
2) They think cardio can do everything for them...no need to lift. WRONG. You use different types of fibers (slow and fast twitch) when doing different activities. Cardio and weight lifting utilize one or the other...but doing both of them will end up working BOTH. SO lift and do cardio.
3) They don't have enough equipment or access to a gym. Your body weight can be your best friend. Squats, lunges, tricep dips, pull ups, push ups, etc etc. You can do most things just by using your body weight. SO quit the excuses.
4) They are lazy or don't want to change. I can't really do much about this one. But maybe you could go talk to someone if this person is you. Why you wouldn't want to be strong, feel good, look good, and be healthier is beyond me.

Okay. That's enough about lifting. I'm a fan for some many reasons and if you have any questions ask away! I'd love to hear from you!

I will be posting less often because I am in a grad program from now until June. It's my first week and I've had tons of work to do every night. I apologize...but the more you comment, the more I will find time to write! :)

What do you think about this post??

No comments: