Tuesday, August 17, 2010

R-E-S-T

That four letter word has always scared me. REST? WHY! Isn't that what lazy people do? I am the "I can rest when I'm dead" kind of girl. But honestly, it can be the best medicine for us...mentally, as well as, physically.

My last week at Equinox was on Friday (the 13th--weird) and my first week in my graduate internship is on Monday the 23rd so I decided to take a week off. I'm in upstate NY visiting my girlfriend's parents. It has been SO relaxing so far...this place is the ultimate place to rest and relax.

I've woken up every morning since Saturday feeling refreshed, rejuvinated, and ready to move around! I've taken yoga classes, went on a run, bike ride, walk...you name it! It's been really nice to just relax and REST.

I've been sleeping about 8 hours a night and I've been falling asleep when I'm tired and then wake up when I'm ready....not really by an alarm (although this morning I set it for 645am because I had a yoga class to be at 8am).

My body is starting to finally feel the effects of sleeping in and moving through my day a little slower than usual. It usually feels good but this is different. I wake up in the morning, decide if I'm hungry...have some water and coffee outside on the deck...surrounded by beautiful flowers. Then I decide what I want to do...bike riding, run, walk, take a class at the nearby gym.

I wouldn't necessarily call this a vacation either...I am a week away from starting a full time graudate dietetic internship program that runs for 10 months. I have had plenty of hw and a paper that have kept me busy since June 7th. Needless to say, some of the hw assignments are still not done. SO this week is bitter sweet. No agenda, but enough stuff to do. I'm sure we all know how that can be.

Long story long, it's really good for us to take a weekend, day, or hour to just relax and rest. Whether that be meditate, take a walk, lay and think on your bed, do yoga, or just sit and think. It's all good for us. Take some time to breathe. Take some time to rest and rejuvinate yourself. :)

On that note, it's time for dinner and then round 2 of yoga...moonlight yoga. :) Then back to my paper.

What do you do to rest and rejuvinate yourself????

No comments: