Sunday, July 18, 2010

A couple random purchases today


Hey All! Hope you all had a relaxing Sunday :) This picture is your first real insight into how much of a dork I am *and someone took the picture of me..no I am not one of those who takes pics of themselves and sets the timer*.


So today I went to TJMAXX to buy some glass pyrex...and to be that only. However, like usual, I ended up buying something else as well...this time it was a home pull up bar! I love doing pull ups...they are in my opinion, one of the BEST exercises you can do. I will tell you my opinion.


1) It's a whole body exercise (glutes are squeezing, abs are pulling in, arms, back, etc)

2) It shows your ability to move your own body weight around which I think is most important.

3) Pull ups are HARD (especially for women--not excluding men though!)


About 5 or so months ago I started doing jump pull ups which is when you jump up as high as you can to reach the bar and then pull up as much as you can. Then I did a push up/stand up/jump pull ups. THEN I decided to just try to do pull ups without jumping. Since then, I am now able to do at least 3-4 full pulls up in a row, sometimes 5 depending on my energy level.


Now, my goal is to do 10 full pulls up in a row without stopping! I am committed to this goal and now I have a pull up bar in my door way into my bathroom so I really have no excuse at all! It will take time and effort but I have set myself in such a way to not fail at this goal.


SO I:

1) Set a goal of doing 10 pull ups

2) Why this goal?: Because I want to be stronger, able to pull my own body weight up 10 times, strengthen my abdominals, lean up more in order to feel better about my body and myself. This will also increase my confidence and self-esteem.

3) Set myself up to reach this goal but making it a committment of mine, buying a pull up bar *15 bucks*, and now am going to do daily pull ups after my nightly yoga sessions.


Making fitness and health part of your daily lives is what will get you to that goal! If I didn't buy the pull up bar then the only time I'd have access to it is at work *at the gym I work at*. I made sure that I had access to it whenever I wanted. Just adding something like a medicine ball or a stability ball into your home is a step towards making fitness apart of your everyday life. SNEAKERS, a watch, some fun athletic gear, a bike, heart rate monitor, fitness DVD, etc etc.


I know it's hard...it's challenging to get yourself to go on a walk, run, get yourself to a class or to the gym...but honestly, take it day by day. Today I was tired, a little lazyand, just busy and had a million things to do but I made it happen...I did my errands and then said to myself that I would feel better if I ran...so I went running for 2 miles (nothing huge but it was better than nothing) and then walked the same loop for a total of about 4 miles. I made it happen and so can you!
This pic is of my new running water bottle belt *making up my own name for it* that I purchased a few weekends ago. It was like $45 and has a pouch to put stuff in and 2 lil water bottles. It was so comfortable and was just enough water for us! I took it with us on my run today so I figured I'd let you see it! haha. Oh and behind me on the top right hand corner of the pic you can see my new pull up bar that I talked about!


Make fitness part of your life...commit yourself and make it happen.


:)


I will keep you updated on my success as long as you keep me updated on yours!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great entry. Making purchases like this really keep your interest in being fit. They are great for people just starting out who might need a little extra motivation, since they haven't quite gotten used to a routine yet.

Here are a few purchases I have made lately that I have really enjoyed.

iFitness app: For everyone with an iPhone or an Ipod Touch. It only cost 2 dollars and is unbelievably helpful. It has hundreds of exercises to choose from, listed by muscles used, muscle groups, machines used, etc. It also has 20 or so pre-made weight training programs to choose from, and also gives you the opportunity to make your own. It allows you to track your progress in each exercise, your weight, your BMI, your measurements, etc. Best 2 dollars I ever spent.

Nike+ running system. Nike+ is an awesome way to track your running progression. Allowing you to see your results, and also set goals. I recently broke 6'30'' on my mile, and have made a new goal of 6'00'' for the end of the summer.


Keep up the great posts! I really enjoy reading it.

Caitlin said...

Hey Jeff! Thanks for the post! YES I LOVE Nike +...just bought it a month ago...LOVE using it and love being able to track my runs!

Great input and suggestions! :) Thanks!