Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sometimes you have to DIG DEEP


You know those days when:


you are just super uninterested in going to work/school....


you just don't care what you put in your body....


you don't want to exercise or move your body...


you feel like the world is just totally against you...


you wake up on the wrong side of the bed...


you feel like no one is listening to you...


you are nearing the end of a run and you are struggling...


you are your own worst enemy...


you feel like you are going nowhere or going down the wrong path...


you think your goal is unreachable...


you are indifferent....


you just.want.to.give.up.


THAT'S WHEN YOU NEED TO DIG DEEP.


Dig deep= find that part inside of you that is going to FIGHT when you have nothing left to give.


For example, digging deep...ever seen the movie Titanic? Dramatic, I know...but... Digging deep is what those people did when they climbed the mast all the way up to the top in order to live...they didn't have the physical energy, but somehow climbed up and "survived". I think most died...but let's say that the top of the mast=survival.


Just when you think you have nothing left...DIG DEEPER. Find that strength and perserverence and GO FOR IT. Find that space inside of you that you would have to tap into in order to SURVIVE and LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT!


I get it...we all have those days...I have those days too!


It's about how you manage and handle those days/moments/weeks/hours/years that matters.


Just when life/your goal/a relationship/or whatever gets HARD or CHALLENGING....that's when you need to DIG DEEP and SHINE. Find your way out of it...FIGHT through it...find a way to make it happen (or find someone that can help you fight--in some cases we need outside help).


This MUST be your mentality. Anything in life is attainable...it's those who want it, who get it. Those who give up all of their excuses, stop complaining, and MAKE THE CHANGE and DIG DEEP. You must come up with a thousands reasons WHY you want to make yourself better (leaner, happier, more confident, more fit, better self esteem, content, healthier) instead of the thousands of excuses and reasons why you might fail or can't do something.


I will share a goal of mine with you all that is going to sound NUTS/Crazy/Unattainable...


I want to cure America of this disease called being UNHEALTHY (links into my very first blog if you remember). I want to change how we eat, move, think, act, and how we speak to one another. I want to make people HAPPIER and HEALTHIER and UNSTOPPABLE. I want to change American lives for the better.


Everything I am trying to do or become is me taking steps towards that goal. Am I crazy for wanting that? Maybe. You know what I do in order to feel like I am accomplishing something though? I try to set a good example...I eat healthy, rest, exercise, push myself, think positively, say hi to random people, smile, etc etc. I also write this blog...giving information/answering questions from strangers and do it for the well being of others...not for myself. I also personal train people in order to help them change their lives and bodies.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Are there days when I feel like I am never going to make a difference or attain that goal? Are there moments where I don't believe in myself and think it doesn't matter if I don't finish a run or give my all to a client of mine?


YES!


BUT that's when I dig deeper.


SO whatever it is in your life that you want to accomplish, whether it be in the gym or even outside of exercising or eating healthy... Find what it is...DIG DEEP...and GET THERE.


Find a word that you can say to yourself when you don't think you can do it...when you want to give up...say if to yourself over and over again...Let it motivate and inspire you.


My word: Believe.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cait! so what if I don't feel like running on the treadmill, but have no problem cranking away on the elliptical. All of my army buddies want to know, is the elliptical an acceptable alternative for running? As in, are we getting an equal workout? THANKS! Love, MegBURNETTTTT

Caitlin said...

Well I wouldn't say they are equal. When you are running you are essentially moving your entire body weight around and pushing the ground from beneath you.

The Elliptical is gliding along with you...and I would say that you definitely should be hands free on the elliptical...meaning, don't hold on unless there is an upper body component to it that is moving.

I would say if you can run...RUN! If it is tough on your knees, hips, etc then obviously try the more joint friendly Elliptical. However, you should be at such a resistance that you cannot TALK. Called the Talk Test, see if you can have a conversation with your friend...if you can't, then you are working probably as hard as if you were running (cardiovascularly speaking). IF NOT, buck up mama and pick up the pace/increase the resistnace!

Make sense?

HI ARMY BUDDIES! THANKS FOR ALL THAT YOU DO! :)

nmm said...

Very inspiring, Cait -- thanks for the pick-me-up!!

Nicky

Crystal said...

Hi Cait!

Your blog is so inspiring, even for me all the way out here in Colorado! You have really motivated me to live a healthier and more active life. I've started with eating fresher, healthier foods (my diet was really lacking on enough fruits and veggies). But when it comes to exercise - I do have a question for you! I have a gym membership here but I really don't have enough time between work and grad school (each full time) to spend a lot of time at the gym. I'm one of those people with weaker knees and ankles (mostly because of dance) so I usually do the elliptical and try to lift but that can take hours! Any suggestions on effective workout routines where I don't have to spend hours at the gym??

Thanks!! Keep the words of wisdom coming!!

- Crystal

Anonymous said...

Oh trust me! There is NO talking when on the elliptical!! It is crank away! My roomie is a fan of the go-as-fast-as-you-can method, where I'm more of a feel the burn and crank up the resistance girl! We compare notes and burn virtually the same amount of calories, but running is a whole different ball game! I enjoy running outside, and was doing it in Texas before we got here, but it's too cramped and not any good routes! I also don't like the feeling of having to "keep up" with the treadmill. I just want to maintain/gain strength in my legs and keep my lungs up for when I get home and can actually get OUTSIDE and run!
Thanks Cait! I see you've posted something new so I'm going to go read that :) MWA!

Caitlin said...

Hey Crystal! :)

Okay so I have the PERFECT workout for you with your crazy schedule (YOU GO GIRL!--and you're planning a wedding---WOW!).

I'm going to suggest circuit training for you. At my gym, we call this a Max 30 program.

SO what it is a 30 sec of a stregth exercise followed by 1 min of a cardio exercise. Google any of these exercises if you don't know what they are:

30 sec Squats
1 min High Knees
30 sec Wide Grip Over head Press
1 min Jumping Jacks
30 Walking Lunges
1 Sprint on a treadmill (FAST)
30 Wide Grip Chest Press or Push ups
1 Butt Kickers
30 Wide Grip Row
1 Burpees
30 Wide Grip Pull Ups of Lat Pull Down
1 Squat kicks
30 Superman
1 Plank

Do this circuit 2x and you've maximized your time (30ish min) and you hit all of your major muscles groups and kept your heart rate up!

This is a kickass workout! Have fun!