Saturday, July 24, 2010

A typical Caitlin Menu...

Hola everyone! Hope you are all enjoying your Saturday!



As requested, this post is going to be about what a typical Caitlin menu looks like for a day and also, some suggestions/recipe books and websites to go to. :)



Disclaimer: I am a vegetarian (I doeggs and fish though). SO my meals do not contain any meat products...SORRY!



A day in the life of Caitlin (eating wise):



Breakfast:

First off, I like to mix it up. I'm all for satisfying the taste buds and varying my diet. I usually have an iced coffee that I make at home and a bottle of water. Oh, and WW does not mean Weight Watchers, it means whole wheat.



-WW english muffin w/tbsp of all natural pb and a banana

-WW half of a bagel with either cream cheese or pb and a banana, perhaps an egg or some nuts

-All natural/organic oatmeal with either berries or a banana...perhaps even a hard boiled egg for some added protein

-Cereal with a banana and unsalted, just roasted or natural nuts

-Aria protein shake with milk(mostly a vitamin shake from Trader Joe's), 1-2 pieces of ww toast with either pb or even little bit of cinnamon sugar on top with a whole piece of fruit

-Homemade whole wheat flour muffin (google recipes), an egg, and a piece of fruit

-cottage cheese, half a bagel/piece of toast/english muffin, a piece of fruit





If you take a look at those options, you'll notice that each contain a piece of fruit, something that is high in protein, and a whole grain. Obviously, omelettes are great...I just don't love them in the morning...I usually pack my breakfast and eat on the train into work. so omelettes are kind of out for me.





LUNCH:

-ww homemade tuna sandwich of wrap with lettuce, tomato, onion

-greek yogurt (love Fage brand), granola and nuts to put in it, a piece of fruit, bag of cut up veggies with hommus.

-loaded up salad with lettuce/spinach, beans, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, craisins, carrots, edamame, with balsalmic vinegarette

-yogurt, nuts and granola, whole grain cold salad (pasta, quinoa, etc etc)

-avocado sandwich with sprouts, tomato, onion, on ww bread

-pb and J w/ all natural pb, ww bread, and organic jam. <---rare occasion but it feels good to have one every one in a while. I will have veggies w hommus, a small yogurt, and a piece of fruit to go along with it.

Dinner:

-Fish with steamed veggies and brown rice

-Veggie burgers with a salad on a ww bun

-Sweet potato topped with cooked black beans, tomatoes, onion, green onion, with a dollop of sour cream <---my favorite. -homemade veggie white pizza on ww homemade crust -stif fry with shrimp, brown rice, peppers and really any other veggies that you enjoy. That's the low down on what I eat for meals. Since I am super busy at work from 630am-4ish pm I typically eat my meals in segments since time is an issue for me.



If I'm hungry between meals, I will have a handful of almonds, piece of fruit, couple of whole grain crackers or chips with some homemade salsa/guacamole, fruit leather, etc etc.



Balance out your meals as much as possible!



Does this meal include a whole grain?

Veggie and/or fruit?

Protein source?

Fat source?

Fiber?



There are plenty of easy to prepare foods out there that you can make all by yourself! Making larger portions of food on Sundays are a great way to be able to make packing breakfast and lunch easier...you just put some in a container and head out!


Just Google healthy recipes and a thousand sites will pop up!

I have a few books, magazine, and websites that I will suggest to you: Super Natural Cooking (I believe it's called), Master your Metabolism cookbook, The Kind Diet (Alicia Silverstone is a vegan--but she has veggie recipes),Eating Well Magazine, Clean Food Magazine, Health Mag., Fitness Mag., Self Mag., Women's Health, Mens Health, Food Network website, Cooking Light website, ALL have great recipes!



Let me know what you all think! :)






No comments: